ROUND four of the British Championship was held at Rowrah in the Lake District, and its reputation for wet weather racing didn’t disappoint.

Friday’s practice sessions were skipped by the two wise YRF Juniors Charlie and James, due to the torrential downpour that didn’t seem to let up. Hoping for better weather for Saturday’s qualifying sessions they decided to be spectators and keep their bikes and themselves in one piece.

Saturdays practise session started to dry out, however as qualifying began so did the rain. Needing a strong starting position come race day, Charlie headed out in the Junior 4.2 A class. Struggling with the conditions Charlie sat back in ninth position, some nine seconds off pole.

Coming towards the end of the last session Charlie pulled out an almost flawless lap that saw him jump up to second position and slash eight and a half seconds off his previous best lap. Back in the pits Charlie started to describe the lap to his father “Don’t know what happened there, it just felt good.”

Race day was to be another wet day. Starting from second on the grid Charlie took full advantage of his position in all three races running with the leading group of three and at several points leading. Finishing with a second and two third positions over the three races he was awarded with an overall third position for the day.

Charlie also rode his Metrakit GP50 at the wet Cumbrian circuit. With it being Charlie’s first wet session on the big bike, he used the sessions to learn the limits of the bike on the wet track. After qualifying Charlie achieved ninth on the grid which was fifth for his class. On race day Charlie took home some solid results with sixth, eighth and fifth giving him sixth overall for the weekend.

James also struggled with the conditions for the weekend, but, managed to get out for some early practise sessions on Saturday morning. After putting together some good laps, finding a rhythm and set up for the wet they broke for lunch.

After the break, the weather had once again had taken a turn for the worse and using his early laps set a quick time to secure third place. With the track getting wetter James decided to call it a day and take the third position for race day.

Race one on the Sunday morning was again a very wet start. Lining up on the grid in the well deserved third spot, the race got under way. After a hard fought battle in the torrential conditions James managed to put his Polini over the line in sixth position.

With race two approaching, the weather had taken a turn for the better and the track had started to dry. All hands were on deck in an effort to get the bike switched over to dry settings. The bike was on the grid, the rider was on the bike and the lights were on red… It was time to find out if the hard work had paid off. James took his bike round for the eight laps and brought home fourth place. However back in the pits he explained that his clutch had been giving him problems throughout the race.

Race three was much of the same. Unable to solve the clutch problems, James raced the bike around to the best of its ability to grab sixth and taking fifth overall for the day.

Ross Turner turned up just for Sunday’s races, missing practise and qualifying. So for the races he started from the back of the grid and with very little wet time had a mammoth task ahead of him. In the Junior 4.2 A class he took seventh overall and in the Junior Production class ninth overall.